Friday 27 August 2010

My Little Ramazan - Day Seventeen

Fri 27th August 2010

A very exciting parcel arrived for me today. It came from that spiritual haven called Amazon.com and is a result of my wanting to undertake other activities which Ramazan fasting is supposed to direct you towards. I’ve already chosen personal reflection over prayer, as it suits me a whole lot better (and is inevitable when you’ve got nothing to do but be hungry all day). But the other thing Gold Star Muslims are supposed to do during the Ramazan period, is revise, re-read and re-learn by heart, the holy scripture of the Koran.

I didn’t think Allah or Mohammed would mind that I’m actually – for want of a better phrase – a ‘Koran virgin’ so I trawled Amazon.com for an English translation. There are many options. Beautifully illustrated versions, hardbacks, paperbacks, old English, new English, prose adaptations, fragmented descriptions. All sounding intensely mystical, intricate and informative. So I did it. I clicked my choice, entered my card details and felt very pious and dutiful whilst doing so. So you can imagine my excitement when the postie stuffed it through the letterbox this morning. My very first and very own holy book.

The Koran for Dummies.

Well I had to start somewhere didn’t I? All of the actual translations looked far too complicated for a malnourished full-time mum of a toddler to even hope to comprehend. And I feel comfortable with the label of a ‘Dummy’ on this topic. I really do. Maybe the label wouldn’t apply if it came to modern art or creative education or Bob the Builder song lyrics, but it most certainly applies when it comes to Islam. Say it clear, say it loud, I’m a dummy and I’m proud.

So, lots of lovely bedtime reading for me for the next fourteen nights. Mustafa is overjoyed with my new purchase. I didn’t have to hide it at the back of the wardrobe and bring it out surreptitiously on another day at all. He is pleased as punch almost as much as he was on the day I said I would join him in Ramazan. And it was worth being labeled a dummy just to see the smile on his face. He did, however, gently point out as I clutched my new book with both hands somewhere around the tummy area, that I should always carry it at chest level. Next to my heart. He said this is to show that its contents are intrinsically linked to your heart and your soul. “You think about it. Did you ever see a picture of a Muslim carry it below the heart?”

Good point. Well made. But other points to be made are: this is not exactly a Koran, merely a guide for ignorant waifs such as myself; and I don’t think I’ve ever really looked at a picture of a Muslim carrying a Koran, so how could I possibly comment? So, for now I will not comment, I will just scoop up my idiot’s guide each evening and ascend the stairs with it held close to my heart. It’s good, after all, to learn something new each day. Dummy or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment